- "I know who I am… I am a Jedi."
- ―Cade Skywalker
- Cade Skywalker was a Human male bounty hunter, smuggler, and pirate, who in his youth was once the Jedi Padawan of Wolf Sazen. The son of Jedi Master Kol Skywalker and Morrigan Corde (also known as Nyna Calixte), Cade was also a direct descendant of Luke and Anakin Skywalker and a possible grandson of Ben Skywalker. Cade was also the nephew of Nat Skywalker (also known as 'Bantha' Rawk) and his wife Droo Rawk, half-brother of Gunn Yage (though neither knew of the other's existence), and stepcousin of Annah, Skeeto, and Micah Rawk.
Thousands of years before his birth, he appeared in Jedi MasterQ'Anilia's vision, along with his ancestors, Luke Skywalker, and Anakin Skywalker, who became the fearsome Darth Vader, as well asZayne Carrick, all of whom would be affected by the Muur Talisman. After his mother left him as a baby, Cade was raised as a Jedi by his father on Ossus where he would be apprenticed to his father's former apprentice, Wolf Sazen. He spent most of his childhood where he became close to Padawan Azlyn Rae. However, at the start of theSecond Imperial Civil War, Cade turned his back on his heritage after being traumatized by watching his father's death at the hands of Darth Nihl and the One Sith. After successfully reviving his master, he swore his revenge and eventually became a pirate and bounty hunter, operating from his personal starship, the Mynock with his longtime companions Jariah Syn and Deliah Blue.
After his existence and unique Force powers were discovered by Sith Lord Darth Krayt, Cade was unwillingly pulled into galactic affairs. Caught up in the power struggle between the Sith and the exiledEmperor Fel, Cade became willing to do whatever it took to ensure he was left alone, but was eventually captured by the Sith. Following his capture, Krayt acknowledged that Cade had more power than he had ever seen in any Jedi, and offered him to join him and the Sith. Refusing his offer, Cade was forced to watch his friends die when Darth Maladi planted Yuuzhan Vong Yorik-Kul coral seeds. Cade had no option but to help both of his friends by using his anger to cure them at a great cost. With the dark side corrupting him, Cade was surprised that Krayt showed him his father's lightsaber and revealed his former identity as Jedi Master A'Sharad Hett. Skywalker was able to escape when he injured Nihl and Talon.
After being briefly captured by the Sith, Cade was reunited with his uncle and his childhood sweetheart, Azlyn Rae, who secretly became an Imperial Knight. After arriving to the secret Hidden Temple on Taivas, and been followed by several Imperial Knights, Cade was angered by Azlyn's betrayal until he had met with the new Jedi Council members, K'Kruhk, Tili Qua and T'ra Saa. Together, they participated in a successful mission that saw the death of Darth Krayt. However, Krayt's traitorous advisor conspired to keep this fact a secret and appointed himself Regentover Krayt's Empire. After saving Azlyn's life, against her wishes, Cade and Azlyn's relationship fell apart. Angered by the destruction his actions continually caused, Cade left for Tatooine, where he began raiding Black Sunshipments. These events drew the attention of both his mother and his half-sister Gunn Yage.
After leaving Tatooine, Cade and his crew accepted a recovery mission on Wayland, site of the failed Ossus Project. There Cade encountered Darth Maladi, who was seeking to perfect a new Sith bioweapon. Cade attempted to heal Blue, who had been captured and implanted with the weapon, but to no avail. Wolf Sazen tracked Cade to Wayland and convinced him to use the light-side of the Force to heal Blue, which was successful. As a result of these events, Cade finally rejected the dark-side but resolved to not rejoin the Jedi Order, believing the Force shaped him for a different destiny, to destroy the One Sith.
Cade set off on a quest for vengeance, accompanied by his friends. On Utapau, Skywalker killed Sith scientist Vul Isen and learned of Krayt's return from the dead. He would encounter his mother once more on the Wheel, where under the council of his father, forgave her and healed her from certain death. Shortly thereafter, Skywalker returned to the Jedi Hidden Temple on Taivas to defend against the incoming attack there. The battle was a disaster for the Jedi and its allied forces, and Nat Skywalker sacrificed his life to save that of his nephew. Distraught by his uncle's death, Cade led an elite strike team to shut down Coruscant's planetary defenses in the final battle of the war. Cade lost his former master in the fight, but succeeded in resisting temptation and as a Jedi, killed Krayt once and for all. To ensure the Dark Lord of the Sith would never return, Cade took his mother's ship to the planet's sun, where he intended to incinerate both himself and Krayt's body. However, under the guidance of Luke Skywalker, Cade escaped the doomed ship, and was rescued by Syn, R2-D2, and his lover, Deliah Blue. With the war over, Cade Skywalker set out for a distant place where the group could be in peace.
Powers & Abilities
- "You have power, Skywalker. Join me, and I will teach you to use that power!"
- ―Darth Krayt to Cade Skywalker
- Since Cade was a member of the Skywalker family, he had a naturally strong connection to the Force, and was immensely powerful in its use. As a Padawan, Cade showed incredible potential in the ways of the Force, being able to hold his own against a large number ofstormtroopers and Sith during the Massacre at Ossus even though he was a simple child still in training. Cade was skilled in the use of the hibernation trance, which he used on at least two occasions, once after the Massacre of Ossus and again after the Battle of Coruscant.
His powers did not appear to atrophy in the seven years he spent in Rav's crew, despite rarely drawing on his powers in that time and his use of deathsticks. During a confrontation with Darth Talon on Vendaxa, Cade used the Force to hurl a crashed starship at the Sith, once more tapping into his anger to fuel his abilities. He later admitted that he could sense the Sith nearby, showing that his Jedi senses were as attuned as ever. When he attempted to rescue Hosk from the Temple of the Sith on Coruscant, he was able to sense the Jedi's presence from outside the mammoth structure.
He was proficient with telekinesis, capable of using a very powerful force push, on many occasions, like in the Sith temple on Coruscant against Darth Talon, where he threw the Sith Lady back with a powerful kinetic blast, injuring her .
He could also use Force Choke, a dark side power associated with the Sith, which he used against Gunn YageAfter his training with the Sith, Cade became proficient in the use of Force lightning. The voltage of his lightning was strong enough to injure a Hand-class Sith like Darth Nihl and defeat an elite Sith Trooper.
When Cade went to reclaim the Grinning Liar, Rav ordered all of his henchmen to attack Cade, and while greatly outnumbered, Cade singlehandedly defeated all of them.
"Healing me like you did was not something you were taught—you did that by instinct alone."
- ―Wolf Sazen to Cade Skywalker on Vendaxa
- Perhaps his most impressive and mysterious power was his apparently instinctive ability to create and use dark transfer, which allowed him to revive Wolf Sazen from death. To do so, Cade tapped into the power of the dark side, and both he and Sazen felt the effect as a Force power with a similar appearance to Force lightning coursed over their bodies. The power he exerted even caused Cade's eyes to glow with Force energy. Within moments, Sazen had been revived, and he was soon able to talk and walk of his own accord. As Cade would later relate to Sazen some seven years later, the price for bringing his Master back from death was high: Cade admitted he "tapped into all the fear and rage" within him, and, as he told the Force ghost of Luke Skywalker, he was afraid that the hunger for power he felt that day was "not a good place for a Skywalker to be". Cade could also use this to purge other ailments from other beings bodies.
Cade's use of the dark side was even felt by Darth Krayt, from the New Imperial Palace on Coruscant. Krayt believed that this power would enable him to cheat death, and began a search for what he called "a dark light in the Force". Cade's ability to tap into the Force was so powerful that he was able to manifest and control Force lightning to such a degree that he was able to prevent his ship from being torn apart by a large lightning storm ravaging the entire planet. Cade later learned to use Dark Transfer in coordination with the light side of the Force, which was apparently what was needed to overcome previous obstacles to its healing powers.
In addition to being able to heal people with his power, it could be used to hurt others that suffered a previous injury in moments, by allowing Cade to focus it into a point where their wound was, similar to finding shatterpoints. However, it is unclear whether it was shatterpoints that Cade was finding. Either healing or injuring someone with his Force ability, he can completely manipulate someone's body.
Ultimately, Cade managed to find the ability that his ancestor, Anakin Skywalker, had desired for so long—to keep people from dying, especially those whom the user loved.